Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How Honey & Clover changed my life

I first watched Honey in Clover in the summer of 2006, at the time I was probably mildly depressed and nursing an unrequited love for a girl I didn't have the courage to ask out. I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go to college, was stressed over admissions and didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life. While watching Honey & Clover I & II (II started airing pretty much exactly when I finished 1, lucky me), I found myself associated with Takemoto more than I have with any character ever. I just found his story to be so compelling and his feelings on so many things to be so close to my own. But I saw Takemoto more as the person I wanted to be than as the person who I was, he seemed so much stronger to me than I was. I wanted to find the self-confidence and happiness that he found following his bike ride. It sounds cliche but it truly inspired me. It caused me to take more risks which really paid off. I asked my crush out and amazingly enough she agreed to date me, the 2 years we spent together were probably two of the best of my life, certainly the summer of 2007 was the best period of my life thus far. Takemoto also inspired me to start biking, which I now love and continue to do to this day. Whenever I feel depressed I always know there are two things that can cheer me up, Episodes 21-24 of Honey & Clover (Takemoto's Journey) and episodes 23-25 of BECK, Koyuki's performance at Greatful sound.

1 comment:

  1. this anime is truly amazing, there's such a melancholy undertone throughout the whole thing

    ReplyDelete